The dosa, dosai, dose, thosai, or dhosa is a South Indian crêpe, a typical South Indian breakfast item.
Ingredients for Sada (Plain) Dosa:
- 1 cup plain rice
- 1 cup parboiled rice
- 1/4 cup white udad dal
- 1/2 tsp. methi (fenugreek) seeds
- 1 /2 tsp soda bi carbonate
- 1/2 cup curds
- 10-12 tsps. ghee or oil as preferred
- water for grinding
Directions for making Sada (Plain) Dosa:
- Wash the rices and dal together.
Add plenty of water and methi seeds.
Allow to soak for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Rewash the rice by draining the water 2-3 times.
- Grind to a paste. Rawa-like grains should be felt in the batter.
- Add soda bicarb and salt and mix well.
Keep aside in a warm place for 8-10 hours.
- Beat the curds well.
- Add to the batter, add more water if required.
The consistency of the batter should be thick enough to thickly coat on a spoon when dipped.
- Heat the iron griddle or non-stick tawa well.
- Pour a spoonful of batter in the centre, spread with the back of the spoon to a thin round.
- Pour a tsp. of ghee or oil over it.
- Remove with spatula when crisp.
- Serve hot with chutney and / or sambar.
- Enjoy your Sada (Plain) Dosa. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Aval Dosai, Idli, Madhur Vadai, Milk Appam, Rava Dosa, Sweet Puttu, Ven Pongal, Vermicilli Masala Vadai, Kara Vadai, Didir Onion Rava Dosa
Go to Top