Preparation time: 24 hours
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Ingredients for Steamed Rice Flour Patty (Idli):
- 1 ½ cups parboiled rice
- ¾ cup lentils (urad dal), husked
- Salt to taste
- Oil to grease moulds
Directions for making Steamed Rice Flour Patty (Idli):
- Wash and soak the rice for 6-7 hours, then grind to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Soak lentils (1 hr), drain and blend with very little water to obtain a thick paste-like consistency. Mix the lentil paste, rice flour paste and salt, set aside to ferment (6 hours).
- Grease idli moulds, fill half-way with batter and steam for 8 to 10 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the idli should come out clean if it is cooked. (if no moulds are available then use small, heat proof bowls and steam in a double boiler.)
- Remove idlis from mould. Place on individual plates, dot with hot lentil powder (optional), serve hot accompanied by coconut chutney and sambhar.
- Enjoy your Steamed Rice Flour Patty (Idli). Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Aval Dosai, Idli, Madhur Vadai, Milk Appam, Rava Dosa, Sweet Puttu, Ven Pongal, Vermicilli Masala Vadai, Kara Vadai, Didir Onion Rava Dosa
Go to Top