Ven pongal is a popular dish from South Indian cuisine typically served as a breakfast, mainly popular in Tamil Nadu and prepared during Pongal Festival.
Ingredients for Ven Pongal:
- 2 cups rice 3/4 cup mung dal,
- dry roasted to a golden brown cracked black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tsp lightly crushed cumin, turmeric,
- salt to taste
- A good bunch curry leaves
- a little chopped ginger
- 5-6 tbsp ghee/melted butter turned brown
- bunch cashews
Directions for making Ven Pongal:
- Wash rice and roasted dal.
- Add water to one inch above level of rice.
- Add turmeric and let it simmer.
- Add a little more water if not semi- solid. When done remove from heat.
- Warm ghee and roast cashews until a golden, remove carefully and set aside.
- Throw in cumin seeds, cracked pepper, curry leaves into the ghee and in a minute or two pour it onto the pongal with the cashews.
- Add the ginger. Mix well.
- Enjoy your Ven Pongal. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Aval Dosai, Idli, Madhur Vadai, Milk Appam, Rava Dosa, Sweet Puttu, Ven Pongal, Vermicilli Masala Vadai, Kara Vadai, Didir Onion Rava Dosa
Go to Top