Venn pongal is a popular dish from South Indian cuisine typically served as a breakfast, mainly popular in Tamil Nadu and prepared during Pongal Festival.
Ingredients for Venn Pongal:
- 2 cups Rice
- 3/4 cup Toor Dal
- 2 tsp Coarsely crushed peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- Ginger 1 1/2 inches long cut into tiny bits
- 5 Cashew nuts
- 3 tsp Ghee
Directions for making Venn Pongal:
- Cook the rice and dal together either in a pressure cooker or in a vessel directly on the stove. The two should be cooked till soft.
- In a seperate kadai add the ghee and when it is hot fry the cashew pieces in it.
- When the pieces turn brown add the crushed peppercorn and the cumin.
- When they splutter add ginger and fry.
- Add the cooked mixture of the rice and dal to it with salt according to your taste. Mix well.
- Add a teaspoon of ghee over it in the end before serving.
- Enjoy your Venn Pongal. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
This can be eaten with coconut or onion chutney.
The rice and the dal can be cooked earlier and the rest of it just takes 5minutes.
Aval Dosai, Idli, Madhur Vadai, Milk Appam, Rava Dosa, Sweet Puttu, Ven Pongal, Vermicilli Masala Vadai, Kara Vadai, Didir Onion Rava Dosa
Go to Top