Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Ingredients for Tamarind Flavored Chicken:
- ½ kg chicken
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 3 tbsp ginger paste
- 1/3 cup groundnut oil
- 5 tsp tamarind (imlee)
- 12 curry leaves
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup onions, chopped
- ½ tsp green cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp clove powder
- ½ coriander powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ black peppercorns, pounded
- 4 tsp green coriander, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Directions for making Tamarind Flavored Chicken:
- Clean the chicken, debone and cut into 1 ½ inch cubes.
- Mix red chillies, turmeric and salt with half of the ginger and garlic paste. Rub this marinade into the chicken pieces. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a kadhai (wok), add the marinated chicken and sauté over medium heat until light brown from all sides.
- Remove chicken and reserve the oil.
- Soak tamarind in a cup of water. After 10 minutes, mash well, squeeze out the pulp and discard. Keep extract aside.
- Reheat the reserved oil, add curry leaves and stir over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and sauté until light brown. Add the remaining ginger and garlic pastes, stir for a minute, add tomatoes and stir. Cook till the fat appears on the side of the pan. Add cardamom, coriander, clove and cinnamon powders and stir for a minute. Add the tamarind and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Add water (! Cup) and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly until the moisture has evaporated and chicken pieces are coated evenly.
- Sprinkle pepper and lemon juice.
- Remove to a flat dish, garnish with green coriander and onion rings. Serve hot, accompanied by Lachha Parantha.
- Enjoy your Tamarind Flavored Chicken. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Andhra Style Chilli Chicken, Chettinad Pepper Chicken, Chicken Jalfrezi, Chicken Kurma, Chicken Shashlik, Chicken Vindaloo, Tandoori Chicken, Chicken in Spinach Puree, Butter Chicken
Go to Top