Boondi or Boondhi, is a South Indian snack. Usually sweet, there is also the salted variant called Khara (salted) boondi.
Making time: 30 minutes.
Makes: 3 cups approx.
Ingredients for Boondi:
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom powder
- 6-8 chopped almonds
- ghee to deep fry
- perforated flat spoon about 5" diameter
Directions for making Boondi:
- Boil the sugar and water together. Add a tbsp. of milk to bring up the scum.
- Remove scum and boil liquid till the syrup is sticky between the fingers.
- Keep aide, but keep warm for use.
- Make batter with gram flour, which should not be too thin.
- The batter should evenly coat the back of a spoon when dipped in it.
- Heat ghee, hold perforated spoon a little above the hot ghee, pour some batter on the spoon.
- Tap very lightly at edge of spoon to allow small droplets to fall in the ghee.
- Pour back remaining batter and wipe spoon.
- Stir the boondis in the ghee gently and fry till crisp but not brown.
- Drain and put into the syrup. Keep for 3-4 minutes before draining from the syrup.
- Spread on a wide plate, add cardamom powder, almonds and mix gently.
- Cool completely and loosen the boondi with finger till each droplet separates.
- Store in airtight container.
- Enjoy your Boondi. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Note: Take great care while dropping the boondi in the hot ghee so as not to burn yourself. A little practice and it is
Badam ka seera, Besan Ladoo recipe , Coconut Burfi, Doodhi Halwa, Jalebi, Kaju Barfi, Kalakand recipe , Mango Kulfi, Mitha Khaja, Puran Poli, Rasagulla recipe , Ras Malai, Shrikhand, Sweet Pongal recipe , Indian Vermicelli Pudding
Go to Top