Dahi wada is a very cooling dish ideal for the summer months.
Ingredients for Dahi Wada:
For the wadas
- 1 cup Udad dal (Black gram dal)
- 1/4 cup Mung dal (Green gram dal)
- Salt to taste
For the Dahi (yogurt)
- 5 cups Dahi (yogurt)
(You can use homemade yogurt or low-fat yogurt from the market)
- 1 tsp Green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger grated
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- Pinch of Asafoetida pinch
- Salt to taste
- 4 tsps Sugar (yogurt should taste little sweet)
Directions for making Dahi Wada:
- Soak the two dals for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add salt to taste.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a kadahi and add spoonfuls of dal batter and fry until the wadas are golden brown.
- Drop the hot wads in a bowl of cold water and leave for about 3-4 minutes.
- Take each wada out from water, squeeze the water out and set aside.
For the Dahi:
- Blend the yogurt with little water until it is smooth.
- Add sugar, salt, green chillies and ginger.
- Make a tarka (seasoning) of mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves and add to yogurt.
- Keep the yogurt in refrigerator until it is chilled.
Serving the wadas:
- Arrange the squeezed wadas in a deep dish.
- Pour the yogurt on the wadas such that all the wadas are covered well by the yogurt.
- Sprinle red chiili powder, roasted jeera powder and black salt (sanchal).
- Serve with sweet tamarind(imli) chutney.
Badam ka seera, Besan Ladoo recipe , Coconut Burfi, Doodhi Halwa, Jalebi, Kaju Barfi, Kalakand recipe , Mango Kulfi, Mitha Khaja, Puran Poli, Rasagulla recipe , Ras Malai, Shrikhand, Sweet Pongal recipe , Indian Vermicelli Pudding
Go to Top