Hot Mango Chutney is sweet and pleasantly hot and is an extremely versatile hot accompaniment to curries or any Indian meal.
Ingredients for Hot Mango Chutney:
- 3 large sweet mangoes, slightly ripened
- 1 tsp lemon rind, minced finely
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 10 green chillies
- 1/2" piece ginger, minced finely
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp saunf (fennel) seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp methi (fenugreek) seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of hing (asoefetida)
- Salt to taste
- 6 tsp cooking oil
Directions for making Hot Mango Chutney:
- Peel the mango and cut it into small chunks.
- Heat about 2 tsp oil in a pan and fry the chunks till they turn mushy.
- Drain, mash well and set aside.
- Roast the methi, saunf, cumin and coriander seeds and crush coarsely using a mortar and pestle. This is how powders are traditionally made. But if you are of the impatient kind, go ahead and use the coffee grinder but make sure that the powder is a little coarse. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and add the hing and mustard.
- When the mustard crackles, add the ginger and green chillies and fry for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mango, powdered masala, salt to taste, lime rinds and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil on a low flame.
- Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container.
- If boiled and cooled well, since no water is used in making this dish, it should keep well for more than a week.
- Store it in airtight containers in the fridge.
- Enjoy your Hot Mango Chutney. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Coconut Chutney recipe , Date Chutney, Green Mango Chutney recipe , Indian Coconut Chutney, Mango Chutney, Puli Inji, Lemon Pickle recipe , Lime Pickle, Mango Pachadi
Go to Top