Puli inji, or "Ginger chutney" as some may call it is a Keralite (Southern Indian) dish.
Ingredients for Puli Inji:
- 2" piece of ginger
- 2 large balls of tamarind
- 12 cloves of garlic
- 3 red chillies
- 3 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp methi (fenugreek) seeds, roasted finely
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, for seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A small piece of jaggery
- Salt to taste
Directions for making Puli Inji:
- Roast the cumin seeds lightly and powder to a fine paste with the red chillies and half the fenugreek and garlic.
- Chop the ginger, green chillies and remaining garlic.
- Soak the tamarind in some hot water and extract the juice.
- Put in the chopped ingredients and continue boiling.
- In a pan, heat 3 tsp oil and add the mustard seeds and the remaining fenugreek seeds.
- When the mustard crackles, add the ground masala and fry till the masala turns color.
- Put in the chopped ingredients, jaggery, salt to taste and tamarind juice.
- Bring to a boil and boil till the juice is thick.
- Bottle when cool.
- Should keep for about a week.
- Enjoy your Puli Inji. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Coconut Chutney recipe , Date Chutney, Green Mango Chutney recipe , Indian Coconut Chutney, Mango Chutney, Puli Inji, Lemon Pickle recipe , Lime Pickle, Mango Pachadi
Go to Top