Pulikkachal is Tamarind paste pickled in oil and spices.
Ingredients for Pulikkachal:
- Soaked tamarind about the size of a large lemon
- 1 1/2 tbsp jaggery
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds roasted dry
- 6-8 green chillies, slit into two (add more for spice)
- 2 inch ginger cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 3-4 tbsps oil, preferably sesame
- good pinch asafoetida
- pinch turmeric
- curry leaves
Directions for making Pulikkachal:
- Squeeze out the pulp from the tamarind. You can add a little fresh water each time to extract the pulp.
- When you have a about a small bowl full, set aside.
- Warm oil, season with mustard seeds first.
- When they start to pop throw in red chillies, chana dal, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- When dal turns red, add the green chillies and fry. Throw in the ginger, add tamarind extract carefully, a pinch turmeric, salt to taste and jaggery.
- Simmer on low heat till raw smell disappears and the sauce has reduced to one-third or thickened yet spoonable.
- Crush the roasted sesame seeds with a rolling pin on paper or in a spice mill rather coarsely.
- Add this at the end to the pulikacchal.
- Mix well so there are no lumps.
- Enjoy your Pulikkachal. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Coconut Chutney recipe , Date Chutney, Green Mango Chutney recipe , Indian Coconut Chutney, Mango Chutney, Puli Inji, Lemon Pickle recipe , Lime Pickle, Mango Pachadi
Go to Top