Tomato Chutney is a popular side-dish to Indian meals, savoury snacks, idlies, dosas, hot and cold meats and sandwiches. It is spicy and tangy and can be enjoyed as a dip or relish.
Ingredients for Tomato Chutney:
- 2 medium tomatoes, choppped
- 1/2 tsp hing(asoefetida)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp methi(fenugreek) seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut, shredded
- 3 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp dhania (coriander) powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 very small ball of tamarind , de-seeded
- 1 small onion, minced finely
- 2 clovettes of garlic, minced finely
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons oil for frying
Directions for making Tomato Chutney:
- Heat 1/2 the amount of oil and add the methi.
- Fry for a minute and then add the tomatoes.
- Fry till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Blend this into a smooth paste, along with the tamarind and the coconut. Set aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil and add the chopped garlic and onion.
- Fry till the onion turns translucent and the garlic browns.
- Now add the spices (red chilli, turmeric and dhania) and fry for half a minute.
- Add the blended paste, salt and hing and heat through.
- Goes very well with plain rice or chapati.
- Enjoy your Tomato Chutney. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Coconut Chutney recipe , Date Chutney, Green Mango Chutney recipe , Indian Coconut Chutney, Mango Chutney, Puli Inji, Lemon Pickle recipe , Lime Pickle, Mango Pachadi
Go to Top