Ingredients for Biryani:
- 2 lbs Spring Lamb (cleaned and cut into medium size pieces)
- 4 ozs Yougurt
- 4 ozs Ghee
- 1 lb Rice (washed)
- 4 ozs Onions (sliced finely)
- 1 oz Ginger & Garlic (equal amounts crushed)
- 1 Lemon
- 1 oz Armonds (ground)
- 2 Cinamon sticks
- 4-6 Cardimons
- 1 oz Milk
- 1/4 tsp Safron
- 2-3 Green Chilies
- 1/2 tsp Black Zeera
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
(equal amounts of Black Zeera, Cardamons & Cinamon sticks, with half amount of cloves)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander and Fried Onions to Garnish
Directions for making Biryani:
- In a large bowl mix the meat, yoghurt, almonds, chopped green chillies, ginger and garlic, salt, and ground garam masala.
- To the mixture add half a teaspoon each of chilli powder and turmeric. Marinate for at least 4-6 hours in the fridge.
- Fry the onions in ghee until golden brown and crisp. Drain away any excess ghee and then remove the onions and spread over a large plate. This should keep the onions crispy.
- Once they have cooled crush the onions with your fingers and add this to the marinated meat mixture.
- In a large pan half fill with water and add salt, whole garam masala and one green chilli.
- Bring this to the boil and add the washed rice and cook until the water boils.
- Once the water has boiled drain the rice in a colander and rinse with a little cold water.
- Grease the saucepan generously with ghee and transfer the meat mixture.
- Level the surface and now spread the rice evenly over the meat.
- Squeeze the lemon and pour the juice over the rice.
- Warm the milk and crush the safron into it.
- Pour the milk/safron mixture over the rice. Dot generously with ghee.
- To garnish spread the fried onions and corriander over the rice.
- Cover the saucepan tightly. Allow to steam on high heat for about 10 minutes and then lower the heat and cook for another 1 and a half to 2 hours.
- Before removing the pan from the cookeer ensure that there is no moisture left in the meat. This can be checked by simply listening for a sizling sound. If there is no sizzling then the Biryani is ready.
- Biryani is traditonally served with Mirch Salan and Yoghurt Chutney.
- Enjoy your Biryani. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Broccoli and Carrot Pulau, Green Prawn Pulao recipe , Lemon Rice, Saffron Rice recipe , Vegetable Pulao, Puliyogare, Exotic Chicken Biryani recipe
Go to Top