Ingredients for HPisi Bellha Hoolli Annam:
- 1/2 cup toor dhal
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida, optional
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 4 dried red chillies, stalks and seeds removed
- Small piece cinnamon stick
- 20 cloves
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated or desiccated coconut
- 500 g (1 lb) green beans
- 1/4 cup tamarind pulp or 2 teaspoons instant tamarind
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 12 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
Directions for making HPisi Bellha Hoolli Annam:
- Wash the dhal and rice, drain well, then put into a saucepan with water, turmeric and salt, bring to the boil, cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat 3 teaspoons oil and fry the asafoetida (if used) for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the asafoetida and fry the coriander and chillies for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Put asafoetida, coriander, chillies, cinnamon, cloves and coconut into electric blender, add just enough water to facilitate blending and blend until spices are finely ground.
- Top and tail beans and cut into small pieces.
- Cook in lightly salted boiling water until almost tender. Drain, reserving liquid.
- Soak the tamarind pulp in 1/2 cup of this liquid, and squeeze to dissolve the pulp, then strain and discard seeds and fibres. If using instant tamarind, dissolve in the hot liquid.
- Heat remaining oil in saucepan and fry the mustard seeds and curry leaves until the seeds pop.
- Add beans, tamarind liquid, ground spice and coconut mixture and bring to the boil, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked dhal and rice and stir well, taking care not to mash the grains.
- Heat the ghee in a small pan and fry the cashew nuts until golden.
- Pour the ghee over the rice and mix.
- Serve hot, garnished with the fried cashews.
- Enjoy your HPisi Bellha Hoolli Annam. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Note: Slices of fried eggplant and potato are sometimes added to this dish.
This recipe was contributed by content editors at ifood.tv.
Broccoli and Carrot Pulau, Green Prawn Pulao recipe , Lemon Rice, Saffron Rice recipe , Vegetable Pulao, Puliyogare, Exotic Chicken Biryani recipe
Go to Top