Ingredients for Masala Bhath:
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 large onions, finely sliced
- 5 cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 small sticks cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 cups hot water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts, split in halves
- 2 sprigs fresh curry leaves or 20 dried curry leaves
- 3 fresh green chillies, seeded and sliced
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
Directions for making Masala Bhath:
- Wash rice well and leave to drain in colander for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large, heavy saucepan heat half the ghee and oil and fry the onions and whole spices until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove half the onions and set aside for garnish.
- Add turmeric and rice to pan and fry, stirring with slotted metal spoon, until all the grains are coated with the ghee.
- Add the hot water and salt, stir well and bring to the boil.
- Cover with tightly fitting lid and turn heat very low.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes without lifting lid.
- Heat remaining ghee and oil in a small pan and fry the cashew nuts until golden. Remove with slotted spoon.
- Fry the curry leaves, green chillies and mustard seeds until the seeds pop.
- Pour over the rice, lightly fork through.
- Dish up rice and garnish with the fried cashews, chopped coriander leaves and grated fresh coconut.
- Enjoy your Masala Bhath. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
This recipe was contributed by content editors at ifood.tv.
Broccoli and Carrot Pulau, Green Prawn Pulao recipe , Lemon Rice, Saffron Rice recipe , Vegetable Pulao, Puliyogare, Exotic Chicken Biryani recipe
Go to Top