Pulihora, an authentic andhra recipe is made with rice and tamarind paste as the main ingredients. You can feel the sour, tangy, spicy taste all in one wonderful dish. Pulihora is one of the favourites of South India.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Pulihora (Tamarind Rice):
- 3 cups Rice
- 5 tbsp Tamarind Extract
- 2 tbsp Split Bengal Gram
- 1/2 cup Peanuts
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 5 Dried Red Chile
- 4 Green Chile
- 8 Black Pepper Corns
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 5 cups Water
- 1 bunch Coriander Leaves
- 20 Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds (powdered)
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
Directions for making Pulihora (Tamarind Rice):
- In a large bowl, add water and rice and cook until well done.
- Remove from heat and in a wide, large bowl spread out the rice.
- Add turmeric, half of the curry leaves and three tablespoons of oil to the rice and mix thoroughly. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile in a skillet, heat remaining oil on low heat.
- To this add black mustard seeds, split bengal gram, red chile, pepper corns and peanuts.
- When the bengal gram turns light brown, add coriander leaves, remaining curry leaves, asafoetida, sliced green chiles and tamarind extract. Stir well. Remove from heat.
- Now add salt and sesame seed powder to the skillet and add it all to the bowl containing rice. Mix thoroughly.
- Serve with Verusanagapappu Pacchadi or plain yoghurt.
- Enjoy your Pulihora (Tamarind Rice). Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Note: You can adjust the amount of tamarind extract according to your taste.
Broccoli and Carrot Pulau, Green Prawn Pulao recipe , Lemon Rice, Saffron Rice recipe , Vegetable Pulao, Puliyogare, Exotic Chicken Biryani recipe
Go to Top