Boondi Raita is a curd/yogurt based cool Indian dish, served with rice and curry or roti and curry dishes. It is a popular variety of raita/raitha of northern India. Made with tiny balls of fried gramflour and curd, Boondi raita is one of the most traditional North Indian raitas, served on festivals and at traditional wedding.
Preparation time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Boondi Raita:
- ½ cup gramflour, sifted
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 tsp baking powder
- 4-5 tbsp water
- Oil/clarified butter (ghee) for frying
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1 ½ tbsp cumin seeds, roasted, crushed
- 2 tbsp pistachio, raw, blanched, chopped
- 2 tbsp green coriander, chopped
Directions for making Boondi Raita:
- For the Boondi, mix together the gramflour, salt (1/4 tsp) and baking soda in a bowl, gradually add water and whisk to a smooth batter, having consistency of heavy cream.
- Heat oil / clarified butter in a deep-frying pan. Pour about 2 tbsp of batter at at time into a frying spoon with several holes, hold the spoon above the pan and press the batter through the holes with your fingers. They will froth in the hot oil, then rise to the surface. Fry until crisp and golden in color. Remove on paper towels to drain. Repeat the process for all the batter.
- In a bowl of warm water, put 2-3 tbsp of boondi, leave to soften, then gently squeeze between palms to remove excess water, set aside.
- Whisk together in a bowl, yogurt, salt to taste, cumin seeds, nuts and coriander until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the soaked boondi. Garnish with the reserved crispy boondi and sprinkle cayenned pepper, serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Enjoy your Boondi Raita. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Bonda with Mashed Potato recipe, Cashew Kunuku, Dahi Vada, Hot Kachori recipe , Maida Bonda, Masala Vada, Mysore Bonda, Pav Bhaji recipe , Potato Bhonda, Rice Uppuma, Sweet Adai, Ulundu Vada recipe, Ribbon Murukku, Medu Vada
Go to Top