Karanji is served as a Diwali sweet.
Making time: 1 hour.
Ingredients for Karanjia:
For cover :
- 1 cup plain flour (maida)
- 1 tbsp. ghee
- water to knead
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes fine
- 1/2 cup khoya
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds (khuskhus)
- 1 tsp. cardamon powder
- 1 tbsp. crushed almond
- 1/4 cup sugar ground
- 10 to 15 raisins
Directions for making Karanjia:
- For cover: Roast khoya to a light pink by stirring continuously over low heat.
- Cool and break in fine crumbs with fingers.
- Mix flour and ghee well.
- Add enough water to make soft pliable dough.
- Keep aside.
- For filling: Roast coconut flakes lightly. Cool.
- Mix all other ingredients. Check for sweetness.
- Make small (4 ") rounds, not too thin not too thick .
- Place 1 tsp. filling in one half of round.
- Fold over the other half, sealing in the mixture.
- Seal edges by twisting or pressing together .
- Make all in t he same way.
- Dry on clean cloth for 30 minutes.
- Deep fry in hot ghee on low till light brown on both sides.
- Drain and cool completely before storing.
- Enjoy your Karanjia. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Note: You may use a karanjia mould for filling them if available.
Bonda with Mashed Potato recipe, Cashew Kunuku, Dahi Vada, Hot Kachori recipe , Maida Bonda, Masala Vada, Mysore Bonda, Pav Bhaji recipe , Potato Bhonda, Rice Uppuma, Sweet Adai, Ulundu Vada recipe, Ribbon Murukku, Medu Vada
Go to Top