Preparation time: 1 ½ hours
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients for Khasta Kachori:
- 1 ½ cups flour, leveled
- ½ cup wheatflour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
- 7 tsp water, chilled
- ½ cup lentils (split moon daal), without skin (soaked for 3
- to 5 hours)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ¾ tsp caraway seeds
- 1 ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ¾ tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
- 2/3 cup water
- Oil for frying
Directions for making Khasta Kachori:
- Blend the flours and salt (1 ½ tsp) in a mixing bowl. Add clarified butter (4 tbsp), rub it in with your fingertips until it is fully incorporated and the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add ice water and knead to form a smooth and pliable dough. Cover with plastic and set aside for ½ to 1 hour.
- For the filling, drain the soaked lentils and grind coarsely. Heat clarified butter (2 tbsp) in a pan, add cumin seeds, caraway seeds and coriander seeds. Fry until they splutter. Stir in black pepper, water and the coarsely ground lentils. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer partially covered until the water is absorbed and lentils have softened but are still slightly firm. Allow to cool, mix in salt to taste and divide into 18 equal portions.
- Divide the dough into 18 even portions. Shape each portion into a patty. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and set aside.
- Flatten each patty into a 2 ½” round. Place one portion of filling in the centre of the dough, then bring the sides of the dough over the filling, to enclose completely. Pinch the seams together until thoroughly sealed. Cover with a plastic wrap or a moist towel. Keep aside. Shape and stuff the remaining pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or wok up to 150 degrees C. Slip in a few patties, (seam side down), at a time. Fry until pale golden in color and until they sound hollow when tapped. The crust should be delicately blistered and crisp. Drain excess oil and serve hot, accompanied by mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Enjoy your Khasta Kachori. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Bonda with Mashed Potato recipe, Cashew Kunuku, Dahi Vada, Hot Kachori recipe , Maida Bonda, Masala Vada, Mysore Bonda, Pav Bhaji recipe , Potato Bhonda, Rice Uppuma, Sweet Adai, Ulundu Vada recipe, Ribbon Murukku, Medu Vada
Go to Top