Preparation time: 1 ¼ hours
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients for Mattar Kachori:
- 2 cups flour, leveled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- 5 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
- 2 ½ cups peas, boiled and mashed
- 7 tbsp water, chilled
- 2-3 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp ginger, finely chopped
- A pinch of asafetida powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- A pinch baking soda
- Oil for frying
Directions for making Mattar Kachori:
- Blend flour, salt and sugar (1/2 tsp) in a mixing bowl. Add clarified butter (4 tbsp), rub it in with your fingertips until it is fully incorporated and the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Mix in mashed peas (1/2 cup). Add ice water and knead to form a smooth and pliable dough. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for ½ - 1 hour.
- For the filling, heat clarified butter (1 tbsp) in a pan, add green chillies, ginger and fry for ½ minute, mix in the asafetida, peas (1 ½ cups), garam masala, lemon juice, baking soda and sugar (1 tsp). Stir fry for 1 minute. Remove and allow to cool. Divide the filling into 18 portions.
- Divide the dough into 18 even portions. Shape each portion into a patty. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and set aside.
- Flatten each patty into 2 ½” round. Place one portion of filling in the centre of the dough, then bring the sides of the dough over the filling to enclose completely. Pinch the seams together until thoroughly sealed. Cover with a plastic wrap or a moist towel. Keep aside. Shape and stuff the remaining pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or wok up to 150 degrees C. Slip in a few patties, (deam side down), at a time. Fry until pale golden in color and until they sound hollow when tapped. The crust should be delicately blistered and crisp. Drain excess oil and serve hot, accompanied by mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Enjoy your Mattar Kachori. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Bonda with Mashed Potato recipe, Cashew Kunuku, Dahi Vada, Hot Kachori recipe , Maida Bonda, Masala Vada, Mysore Bonda, Pav Bhaji recipe , Potato Bhonda, Rice Uppuma, Sweet Adai, Ulundu Vada recipe, Ribbon Murukku, Medu Vada
Go to Top