Avial or Aviyal is a traditional dish from Kerala cooked with a mixture of variety of vegetables, curd and coconut. Wholesome and easy to make, Avial is good with almost anything, plain white rice, pita, paratha, puri...
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Avial (Mixed Vegetables With Sauce):
- 1 cup Cubed White Squash (pumpkin)
- 3 cups - Chopped French Beans, Cauliflower,
Drumstick*, Bell Pepper, Potato
- 4 Green Chilies (medium sized)
- 2 cups Plain Yoghurt
- 1 cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 4 tsp Coriander Leaves
- 1/8 tsp Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 cup Cooking oil
- 2 Dried Red Chilies
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/8 tsp Split Black Gram
- a pinch or two of Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
Directions for making Avial (Mixed Vegetables With Sauce):
- In a deep pot boil the mixed vegetables in a cup of water until tender. Keep aside. (If there is any water left in the pot, do not discard it).
- In a blender, blend yogurt, sugar, cumin, grated coconut, turmeric, salt, coriander leaves, a cup of water until well mixed.
- Pour this mixture into the pot containing the vegetables and keep it on medium heat. Add the green chilies sliced lengthwise and simmer the contents for ten minutes. (Remember to stir frequently, as yogurt tends to stick to the bottom of the pot). Remove from heat and keep aside.
- In a wide skillet heat oil on medium. When oil is hot add dry red peppers and fry for one minute.
- Then add mustard seeds, black gram and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds pop, add asafoetida. Immediately add the vegetables and sauce from the pot. Cook for a minute or two. Remove from heat.
- Goes well with plain white rice, pita, paratha, puri.
- Enjoy your Avial (Mixed Vegetables With Sauce). Hope you love this Indian recipe.
*If drumstick is not available, you can add some
other vegetable. Eggplant, however, is
not advised because it becomes bitter when
boiled in water.
Aloo Dum, Baigan Fry Recipe, Bittergourd Gojju, Cauliflower Curry, Dum Aloo Kashmiri, Eggplant Podi Curry recipe , Gobi Manchurian, Malai Kofta recipe , Matar Paneer, Navaratna Curry, Palak Paneer recipe , Pineapple Gojju, Potato Podimas, Spicy Okras, Stuffed Capsicum, Vegetables Cutlets recipe , Vegetable Kofta, Vegetable Makhanwala
Go to Top