Bhindi Masala is a North Indian specialty. Bhindi Masala is a popular spicy okra curry often served as a main course with curd and Roti. It is also very good as a side dish.
Serves 4 to 6 people
Ingredients for Bhindi Masala:
- 1 pound (1/2 kg) okra (small)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon amchoor powder (or substitute fresh lemon juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves for garnish
Directions for making Bhindi Masala:
- Wash okra under running water and slice off the ends. Cut each in half. Set aside. Prepare onions and tomatoes. Set aside.
- In a wok or heavy skillet heat the oil and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add all spices except the garam masala and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bhoona * 1 minute. Add the okra
and stir-fry 2 minutes. Cover and steam over medium heat until tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Spoon the okra onto a warm serving plate and sprinkle with the garam masala. Garnish with the coriander and serve while hot.
- Enjoy your Bhindi Masala. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
* Bhoona is a technique that is essential to Indian cooking. The bhoona technique means that the mixture is cooked over medium-high heat, with constant stirring to avoid scorching, until all liquids are reduced and the spices coat the meat like a paste. About 1/2 cup of water can then be added, the dish covered, and a gravy created as the dish becomes liquified again.
Aloo Dum, Baigan Fry Recipe, Bittergourd Gojju, Cauliflower Curry, Dum Aloo Kashmiri, Eggplant Podi Curry recipe , Gobi Manchurian, Malai Kofta recipe , Matar Paneer, Navaratna Curry, Palak Paneer recipe , Pineapple Gojju, Potato Podimas, Spicy Okras, Stuffed Capsicum, Vegetables Cutlets recipe , Vegetable Kofta, Vegetable Makhanwala
Go to Top