Bittergourd Gojju is a dish popular in many south Indian households, particulary in Karnataka. It goes well with chappati, dosa or plain rice.
Ingredients for Bittergourd Gojju:
- 2 medium sized bittergourds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 onion, minced
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp dhania powder
- 2 tsp sambhar powder
- 2 tsp shredded coconut
- 1 tsp methi(fenugreek) seeds, roasted and powdered
- 2 tsps white sesame seeds, roasted and powdered
- 2 tablespoon jagggery melted or 2 tsp sugar
- Juice of a small ball of tamarind
- A pinch of hing
- Salt to taste
Directions for making Bittergourd Gojju:
- Scrape the skin of the gourds till smooth and wash them. Cut lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut them into large half-rounds. Smear salt on them and place a heavy weight on them. This method is used to reduce the bitterness of the vegetable. Set aside for 1/2 hr.
- Fry in 3 tsp oil till well browned. Drain and set aside.
- Heat about 3 tsp oil and add the mustard and curry leaves.
- When the mustard crackles, add the minced onion and garlic. Fry till done.
- Now add all the raw dry powders and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add the shrdded coconut and keep frying for 2 more minutes.
- Add the fenugreek and sesame powders and mix well.
- Add the fried gourd, jaggery and tamarind.
- Add salt to taste and enough water to cover the vegetable.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cook till the gavy thickens and you get a gojju consistency.
- Remove from heat and add the hing.
- Mix well and serve like a chutney with plain rice/dosa/ chapati.
- Enjoy your Bittergourd Gojju. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Aloo Dum, Baigan Fry Recipe, Bittergourd Gojju, Cauliflower Curry, Dum Aloo Kashmiri, Eggplant Podi Curry recipe , Gobi Manchurian, Malai Kofta recipe , Matar Paneer, Navaratna Curry, Palak Paneer recipe , Pineapple Gojju, Potato Podimas, Spicy Okras, Stuffed Capsicum, Vegetables Cutlets recipe , Vegetable Kofta, Vegetable Makhanwala
Go to Top