This Indian gravy goes well chunky veggies like boiled baby potatoes with skin, boiled peas, chopped stirfried brinjal pieces. (For this,
fry brinjals pieces in oil, drain, keep aside, adjust quantity of oil required, and continue by frying the onions.)
Ingredients for Brown Gravy:
- 1 tomato grated or finely chopped
- 1 large onion cut in slivers
- 1 capsicum cut in thin lengths
- 1 tsp. garlic grated
- 1 tsp. ginger grated
- 1 tbsp. coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. tamarind water
- 1 tsp. wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. dhania (coriander seed) powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 pinches asafoetida
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp. oil
Roast together and dry grind:
- 2 cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 2 peppercorns
- 1/2 cinnamon stick broken
- 1 bayleaf
- 2 whole red chillies dry
Directions for making Brown Gravy:
- Dry roast wheat flour to a light pink, stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Heat oil, add onions, fry till well browned. Drain well by pressing, putting back oil in pan. Cool onions a bit. Grind in mixie. Keep aside.
- In remaining hot oil, add cumin seeds allow to splutter.
- Add asafoetida, capsicum, ginger, garlic stir fry for a minute.
- Add all dry and ground masalas, flour, stir well.
- Add tomatoes, tamarind water, salt, stir.
- Simmer till gravy is thick and oil starts to separate.
- Add prepared veggies and stir, keep cooking for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander, serve with parathas, rotis, etc.
- Enjoy your Brown Gravy. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Aloo Dum, Baigan Fry Recipe, Bittergourd Gojju, Cauliflower Curry, Dum Aloo Kashmiri, Eggplant Podi Curry recipe , Gobi Manchurian, Malai Kofta recipe , Matar Paneer, Navaratna Curry, Palak Paneer recipe , Pineapple Gojju, Potato Podimas, Spicy Okras, Stuffed Capsicum, Vegetables Cutlets recipe , Vegetable Kofta, Vegetable Makhanwala
Go to Top