Cooking time: 50 minutes
Ingredients for Khatti Arvi Ka Saalan:
- 16 medium sized arvi
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
- 5 tbs (75 ml) oil
- 8 flakes (16 g) garlic
- 1/2-tsp (2 g) mustard seeds
- 1/2-tsp (2 g) cummin seeds
- 1 tsp (5 g) urad dal
- 4 whole dried red chillies
- 16 curry leaves
- 200 g onions, chopped fine
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) fresh tomato puree
- 4 tbs (60 ml) Tamarind pulp
- 3 tsp (15 g) coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 g) chilli powder
- 1 tsp (5 g) turmeric powder
- 1 tbs (15 g) jaggery
Salt to taste
Directions for making Khatti Arvi Ka Saalan:
- Wash the arvi thoroughly and cook with enough water till done.
- Add lemon juice and bring to a boil again. Drain.
- When cool, peel and quarter lengthwise and reserve in a panful of water.
- Grate the jaggery and reserve in three tbsp water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic and saute over medium heat until light brown.
- Add mustard seeds, cummin seeds, urad dal and whole red chillies. Stir until the seeds begin to crackle.
- Add curry leaves. Stir for a minute.
- Add onions and saute until golden.
- Add tomato puree, tamarind pulp, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Stir-fry until the oil floats on top.
- Add salt and three cups water. Bring it to a boil. Lower the heat, add arvi and jaggery. Bring it to a boil again.
- Lower the heat, simmer, stirring occasionally, until the gravy reaches thin sauce consistency. Remove and adjust the seasoning.
- To serve: Remove to a serving bowl and serve with steamed rice.
- Enjoy your Khatti Arvi Ka Saalan. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Aloo Dum, Baigan Fry Recipe, Bittergourd Gojju, Cauliflower Curry, Dum Aloo Kashmiri, Eggplant Podi Curry recipe , Gobi Manchurian, Malai Kofta recipe , Matar Paneer, Navaratna Curry, Palak Paneer recipe , Pineapple Gojju, Potato Podimas, Spicy Okras, Stuffed Capsicum, Vegetables Cutlets recipe , Vegetable Kofta, Vegetable Makhanwala
Go to Top