Matar Paneer is a delicious North Indian dish and eaten all over India is perfect with roti, paratha, puri etc. This is a very easy to cook recipe that is a complete vegetarian dish.
Serves 4 to 6 people
Ingredients for Matar Paneer:
- 6 paneer chunks about 1-1/2 x 1 x 1/2 inch each
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon garlic/ginger paste, or 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 piece fresh ginger, size of walnut, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups fresh shelled green peas (or substitute 2 packages frozen)
- 1 tablespoon
cashew nuts, ground to a paste with a bit of water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Directions for making Matar Paneer:
- Prepare the cheese chunks, and in a wok or heavy skillet fry them in hot oil until golden. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- In the remaining oil sauté the chopped onion until it begins to turn brown. Do not scorch.
- Add the garlic/ginger paste and bhoona* for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomato and bhoona 5 minutes to achieve a thick gravy.
- Add the dry masala and bhoona 3 minutes more. (NOTE: If the sauce is lumpy at this stage, puree it in a blender and continue.)
- Add 1/4 cup water, then stir in the peas.
- Add the paneer cubes and bhoona 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cashew paste, add salt, pepper.
- Serve at once.
- Enjoy your Matar Paneer. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
The bhoona technique means that the mixture is cooked over medium-high heat, with constant stirring to avoid scorching, until all liquids are reduced and the spices coat the like a paste
Aloo Dum, Baigan Fry Recipe, Bittergourd Gojju, Cauliflower Curry, Dum Aloo Kashmiri, Eggplant Podi Curry recipe , Gobi Manchurian, Malai Kofta recipe , Matar Paneer, Navaratna Curry, Palak Paneer recipe , Pineapple Gojju, Potato Podimas, Spicy Okras, Stuffed Capsicum, Vegetables Cutlets recipe , Vegetable Kofta, Vegetable Makhanwala
Go to Top