Pitlai is kind of similar to sambhar but a thicker version.
Ingredients for Pitlai:
- 2 medium bitter gourds ("karela")
- 3/4 can chickpeas
- 1/2 cup cooked toovar dal
- 3 green chillies slit
- 1 1/2 tspn tamarind paste
- 3-4 red dry chillies
- 2 tspns urad dal
- 1 1/2 tspn coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- few peppercorns
- a little jaggery or sugar
- turmeric, salt to taste
- mustard seeds, curry leaves, oil for seasoning
Directions for making Pitlai :
- Slit bitter gourd into four quarters and cut 1/2 inch thick pieces across.
- In a little oil, saute cut bitter gourd and green chillies.
- Add 2 cups water, tamarind, turmeric and salt.
- Let simmer until bitter gourd are tender.
- Add chickpeas and jaggery/sugar.
- While bitter gourd are cooking, in another pan sprinkle a little oil and fry coriander seeds, urad dal, red chillies and peppercorns until well roasted.
- Add coconut, stir a minute or two and then grind in a blender.
- Add a little tomato paste if handy for color.
- Blend in coconut paste into the bitter gourd-tamarind mixture.
- Add the dal. Mix well and reheat a till it begins to simmer. Take off stove.
- Pour seasoning on top.
- Enjoy your Pitlai. Hope you love this Indian recipe.
Aloo Dum, Baigan Fry Recipe, Bittergourd Gojju, Cauliflower Curry, Dum Aloo Kashmiri, Eggplant Podi Curry recipe , Gobi Manchurian, Malai Kofta recipe , Matar Paneer, Navaratna Curry, Palak Paneer recipe , Pineapple Gojju, Potato Podimas, Spicy Okras, Stuffed Capsicum, Vegetables Cutlets recipe , Vegetable Kofta, Vegetable Makhanwala
Go to Top